Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:24:22 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Joey Guhlin <bahwi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

> > Can you be more specific about this?  At which
> > point, exactly, is the
> > system hanging?  A transcript of the console output
> > would be handy.
>
> During boot up, when it is probing devices. With the
> kernel -v it goes to isa something pnp something I
> believe, sorry, that's the best I can do
> unfortunately.

Well, without more details it's really going to be impossible to do
anything about this.

> > There are no known problems with PnP in 4.2, so
> > there's nothing that's
> > going to be fixed unless we can characterise your
> > problem here.
>
> If you can't turn PnP totally off, then there's a
> problem. =)

No.  PnP is basically mandated by systems these days, and we need to deal
with it.  There's still no clear indication that this is even a PnP issue,
so don't get too twisted about it yet. 8)

> it, as did 4.2, but you could be right that it isn't
> PnP, but how can I find out what it is? I can always
> pop in a 4.1.1 cd(with alot of talking into it) and
> try.

You can start by getting the verbose boot output from the system.  If the
box is in production right now, I'd leave it that way and hope that
someone else with the same board can reproduce the problem.