Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:19:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   startslip isn't just broken - it's EVIL!

I've seen some bogus software in my day, but this one really tears
it..

Not only does it have absolutely no concept of setting the VJ
compression flags, but it has no provisions for multiple setup
strings!  Freefall doesn't deal with my TA correctly and whenever I
connect I don't get a login banner - I have to hit return first (this
is an oft-reported bit of FreeBSD braindamage - any plans to fix it
someday?).  Unfortunately, startslip is too stupid to cope with the
idea of actually sending a return, much less a user defined string, if
it doesn't get the prompt it's expecting.  It just waits around
forever.  Bleah!

Then there's the little cuteness of having changed the flags
completely and utterly between 2.1 and current - any explanation for
that decision?

I've added VJ compression support to sliplogin, but these other
problems I've been having with it in the wake of making those changes
(I can't even *test* them because the friggin' thing won't log in!!)
make me think that startslip doesn't need to be improved, it needs to
be re-written from scratch and I may just do that right now..

					Jordan