Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:10:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web hosting with a dynamic IP address question

Neat idea.  I seem to recall that there are services that can do this
for you, but it'd be more fun to do it yourself!  There are lots of
interesting approaches. I currently use both rsync and scp (ssh secure
copy) to do background uploads, using public-key authentication.  I
also use this method to distribute things like proxy configuration
scripts. It should be pretty simple to perhaps have your web page link
to a PHP script that contains the freshly-uploaded IP, but for this to
work, you'd need some way to do an automatic upload without a password
(and PHP or some other scripting language).

Alternatively, I also use a simple shell script to email me the IP
addresses of my remote dialup gateway servers (from ip-up, as Mr.
Garcia suggests), so if your linking is done from a server that lacks
a method for passwordless uploads, you could maybe use email instead,
and do this with a Perl script that greps your mailbox for the IP
address.  Or hey, better yet, use procmail to catch the message and
put it someplace convenient, so your script doesn't have to search
your whole mailbox.

I'd be happy to send you my rsync and ip-up scripts if they'll be of
use to you while you tinker.

- -d

- --
David Talkington
Prairienet / Community Networking Initiative
217-244-1962
dtalk@prairienet.org