Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:00:37 +0200
From:      "Lutz Albers" <lutz@muc.de>
To:        "Graphic Rezidew" <rezidew@rezidew.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: sshd

>ok, now I am just a little bit concerned about this ( maybe I'm over
looking something
>that's REALLY obvious) . I installed the ssh port from 2.2.5 I had set up
tcp wrappers
>and noticed that none of the rules for ssh were working so I took the line
for it out
>of /etc/inetd.conf. The next day I noticed that a 'netstat -a' revealed
that sshd was
>running on port 22 of my machine. I have done "grep ssh /etc/*" and come
>back with only

As others have told you, sshd is normaly started as a stand-alone daemon. If
you do a man sshd, you'll find the following option:

       -i     Specifies  that sshd is being run from inetd.  Sshd
              is normally not run from inetd because it needs  to
              generate  the  server  key before it can respond to
              the client, and this  may  take  tens  of  seconds.
              Clients  would have to wait too long if the key was
              regenerated every time.  However,  with  small  key
              sizes (e.g.  512) using sshd from inetd may be fea-
              sible

hope this helps ...

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.