Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:57:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:

> > > I use:
> > >
> > > CFLAGS= -02 -pipe -m486
> > > COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
> >
> > Please understand that, while this may work for you, it's not supported:
>
> What is meant by "supported"?

	If you send in bug reports and mention explicitly that your
settings are other than -O, we will probably ignore you, and might
possibly mock you publicly.

	If you send in bug reports and do _not_ mention that your settings
are other than -O, and it comes out later for whatever reason, many people
will be angry at you, some will deride you publicly, and others will put
you in their permanent kill files.

	If, on the other hand, you send in a bug report about something
that doesn't work while being compiled -O, in all likelihood you will get
a cooperative and friendly response.

	In other words, even if you want to experiment with other compiler
settings (and I do this myself) you should try it first with the
"supported" settings before asking anyone on the lists about it.

HTH,

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.