Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogind terminal line vs. DOS Telemate

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > I just spent an hour or so totally mystified...
> >
> > A user, running the popular shareware DOS communications program
> > Telemate, logged in via rlogin from my BBS. He accepted the terminal type
> > `pc3'... but whenever he used programs that need his terminal size, like
> > more or pico, it insisted that his screen height was 1 or 2 lines. If he
> > logs in using telnet, he doesn't have that problem. If I rlogin and log
> > in to his account, my terminal works fine (cons25 and also a minimal
> > 25-line ansi terminal from the BBS). The man page for rlogind mentioned
> > something about getting the `window size' from the terminal... but it
> > doesn't say how it's doing it. I've also tried the ansi and dosansi
> > termcaps with no change. Anybody have a clue what's going on here? I'm
> > running 2.1-STABLE and at the moment am just in the process of adding the
> > tcp_wrapper port.
>
> PC3 refers to a setup for your console screen, and it's very highly
> unlikely that the dos program you  mention emulates it.  It's much more
> likely that the dos user has it set up to do either a vt100 emulation, or
> maybe a tvi925.  It's really likely that the comm program can emulate
> more than one, so it's up to you and your user to pick an emulation that
> the dos program can do, and that has a litsting in /usr/share/misc/termcap.
>
> It's really unlikely it's pc3.

Chuck,

I'm afraid I'll eventually have to roll a termcap from scratch to match
what the majority of my users have ("ANSI/BBS") but this problem shows up
with `ansi', `dosansi' and `vt100'. I've never seen it before except for
this user... the $64 question is does rlogind really sense window size
and if so, how does it do it?

-Dave