Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:33:10 PST
From:      "Ricardo Stewart" <ricardo_stewart@hotmail.com>
To:        dan@jgl.reno.nv.us, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, lynch@rush.net, strohsr@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca, Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking FreeBSD 2.2.7 w/3Com 3C509b

Gang,

Thanks for your help... I was able to get my NIC card configured.  It
turns out that the device driver defaults to a BNC port configuration on
system boot.  The Boot log file /var/run/dmesg.boot contains the
following boot message, "ep0: aui/utp/bnc[*BNC*] address
##:##:##:####:##". However, I have a UTP port.

I read the documentation on configuring for a UTP port (ie. man ep), but
it was not clear to me.  The correct statement to configure is "ifconfig
ep0 inet IP_address mask mask_address link2".  In /etc/rc.conf it would
look like 'ifconfig_ep0="inet IP_address netmask mask_address link2"'.
Unfortunately, I was placing a "media" clause in front of the "link2"
parameter and that was not working.

Thanks a lot for your collaborative efforts...

Rick