Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:44:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, webmaster@wmptl.com, questions@freebsd.org, dristovsk@home.com
Subject:   Re: OFFTOPIC: Hardware mb/cpu question...

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:31:31PM -0800, Roop Nanuwa wrote:

> If you are not set on going for another Intel chip, I would HIGHLY
> recommend going for an AMD solution.. you can get a decent new mobo and a
> high speed thunderbird cpu for just a bit more than just a Intel P3
> coppermine.. my first workstation has this configuration (A7V +
> TBIRD 800) and I regret not going for this for the other workstation

I'll second that. I've just built a new machine using an Abit KT7 m/b (I
wanted to use Asus, but I need an ISA slot and Abit is the only Socket A
board I could find with one), a 700MHz Athlon T'bird, and 128MB PC133. Got
``make buildworld'' for 4-STABLE down to 3100 seconds (from 9200 on my
previous K6 system). Quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent Intel system.

One word of warning about Abit boards; they are a bit picky about the
(quality of the) DIMMs that you use.

> RSN

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie