Date:      08 Aug 2003 14:08:33 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A queston on default sysctl settings.

Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> writes:

> 	Can someone tell me if there is a adverse effect in  setting:
> net.inet.ip.rtexpire from 3600 to say 5
>
> And the same with net.inet.ip.rtminexpire fro 10 to say 2 ?
>
> This would be on an ADSL wire.

You don't want to drop it more than necessary, because otherwise minor
problems will start causing connection establishment to fail.  If
you're having a real problem with packet-spoofing attacks, then I'd
recommend keeping an eye on how low the kernel drops the rtexpire
value, and reduce the default value to just a bit more than that.  If
you're not having problems with such attacks, then there's no real
benefit to making these changes in the first place.