Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:05:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Moony <timm@uniqsite.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, that's what the archives are for.

Yes, I rely solely on the mailing list for a lot of problems I have.

> This has already happened irretrievably in many of Linux's formerly
> effective support media (like IRC's #linux channel and quite a few of
> their newsgroups) and the writing is on the wall for any OS group with
> a growing user population.
>
> The only known counter to this scenario is to somehow (and no, I don't
> know how we'd do it) get the new users trained early to be good with
> the search engines, the sources and what web based documentation there
> is in answering any questions which can be answered that way.  Despite
> what one might think after observing the poor state of our docs (and
> you'll not hear anyone yelling louder about that than I), my long
> history of observing "newbies in the wild" has revealed that the great
> majority of problems comes from a simple _unwillingness to read the

I agree.  Poor docs and poorly trained newbies.

> docs_.  Newbies *don't want* to read the docs.  Reading docs is
> boring!  They'd much much rather go to someone in IRC or email and say
> "tell me what to do, dammit, I don't want to read no stinking docs!"
> and that's what eventually kills those media - they don't scale at
> high loads.
>
> Unfortunately, those media are currently about all we've got and so
> we're still faced with the short-term problem of too few people to
> answer questions, too little documentation and a whole boatload of
> newbies going "HELP!" in the mailing lists.  Any suggestions as to how
> we might encourage the formation of more self-help movements in our
> user base would be welcomed before this problem starts becoming
> significantly more acute.

I'd suggest a how-to section in the WWW pages with pointers to "good?"
docs that are already out there.  I have to admit sometimes I go to Linux'
SunSite for answers.  I believe a lot of guys are doing the same.

Tim