Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:10:05 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any idea what this means?

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:55:59 -0800
From: Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>

> I would also recommend Seagate, they seem to hold up better in production
> machines than do Maxtor. Above all stay away from IBM. We have three of them
> that were bad almost right from the box, and IBM is not being nice about
> replacing them. I have beter things to do than a myriad of tests just to get
> an RMA. Being new drives I figure they should give us the benefit of the
> doubt and test them themselves. One they did replace had bad sectors right
> out of the box.

If those are 75GXP models, there are known problems with that series.
In fact, that model has become rather infamous due to its problems.

As it turns out, IBM recently announced it is getting out of the disk
drive business altogether - it is selling the division to Hitachi.
Could be the 75GXP debacle was the turning-point in that decision.

Shortly prior to IBM's decision to get out of HD production, they
issued some revised usage recommendations that suggested that those
IDE drives were not meant for 24x7 server use.  I think that in
general the better SCSI drives are designed more with that in mind.
My luck with IBM's SCSI drives has been pretty good actually.

However my current favorite in SCSI drives is Fujitsu, although they
aren't widely distributed via retail. (Fujitsu exited the IDE market,
they are now only selling SCSI drives)  Seagate is probably my #2
choice.

Datapoint: I have had a 1GB Fujitsu SCSI drive (M2694-ES, old 50-pin
SCSI-2 model) running 24x7 in a server here for ~2 yrs, and in
another server prior to that for probably at least 1-2 yrs more,
without a single problem.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium