Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 04:35:01PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 12:15:02PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
[...]
> > > Is sio2 in your kernel config file?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > If so, try commenting it out and re-building your kernel.
> >
> > Tried it. Not working:
> >
> > sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> > sio1: type 16550A
> > [...no sio2...]
> > unknown: <CIRRUS LOGIC PnP V34 MODEM> can't assign resources
> >
> > > The message above means, IIRC, that your modem is using IRQ5 but the sio
> > > probe is using another IRQ for that port.
> >
> > Weird. What IRQ would the probe use then??? It is more likely to be the
> > opposite. The modem being on irq 10 and the probe trying irq 5... I will
> > try to setup a kernel with sio on irq 10. (?)
>
> Maybe that is it; I got it the wrong way round. Looking at GENERIC the
> IRQ probed for by sio2 is IRQ5 so I guess that it is probing for IRQ5
> when the modem is using another IRQ (disclaimer: I did say "IIRC" in
> my original message, obviously I didn't RC :) )
>
> It would be worth trying IRQ10 (anyone know if you can omit the ``IRQ
> X'' from the line in the config file, or use ``IRQ ?'' instead?).

I don't think so. But I might be able to fiddle with it in the boot-up
userconfig... I'll try that.

The big problem is that the 'pnp' userconfig command is gone. So I don't
know on which irq the modem is setup. In 2.x and 3.x, I could setup the
irq and port settings and then setup the sio2 probe appropriatly, but now,
I'm out of resources...

> The only other thing is: It's not a bloody Winmodem is it?

:) It shouldn't. I mean, I used it as a non-winmodem for a good while on
FBSD and it worked, that should be proof enough. How can I tell?

> One other point: Don't take too much notice of what IRQ and address
> Windows uses, it changes things to suit itself, and I believe it can
> update the BIOS settings to use it's (Windows) choice of settings for
> future reboots. This modem of mine used to be on IRQ11 until I had to
> re-install Win95 (although FreeBSD still found it without any
> changes).

Yeah... It can do some pretty weird stuff. One time, it started "detecting
new hardware" but detected that stuff like... er... "Main board" and
"Central processing Unit" were _removed_. Ah! It removed all the drivers
for all the devices I had on my machine. Quite funny.

Reinstall. :)

> > Latest dmesg (25th build! :):
>
> You are now appointed as our resident kernel building expert :)

yay!

I'll try to probe different IRQs from userconfig and see what it gives...

A.

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora