Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:33:09 -0400
From:      "Jerold McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oh, no....

Gary Kline writes:

>> > gary
>> >
>> > "Fatal trap 18: blah, blah....
>> > "Uptime 1sec"
>>
>> Have you restarted the system that crashed?  Does it consistently panic
>> when you try to boot, or was this a panic introduced by the particular
>> conditions of that moment?
>>

> 	100% consistent.  tHe strange thing is that when I set the
> 	boot-order in the BIOS to "CDROM" it's ignored.  (Maybe I
> 	don't have the boot CD?  that occured when I was crawling
> 	out of bed!)  I have all 4 f the 5.3 boxed set.
>
> 	--Another few gallons of coffee and I'll check.

The first CD is bootable.
I had something like this happen on an install a couple of weeks ago.
I set the boot order with Cd before HDD and it would completely ignore
the CD and just boot from the Hard Disk.   I had just used that CD to
install another machine so I didn't even think the CD might be bad.
But, then a couple of days later I tried it in a machine I was sure of
and the same thing happened.

So, I burned another copy on a different machine and it worked just
fine on both.   The one that was ignoring the Cd and booting from
the HDD, then booted fine From the newly burned CD.

So, I would suggest it might be possible that you have some sort of
marginal burn on the CD and it will work on some machines and not others.

Good luck,

////jerry