Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:28:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Extending the sysctl MIB for Linuxulator variables

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > >     Yes, this is very true.  But I think we are fooling ourselves if we
> > >     believe linux emulation will not become 'standard' in the near future.
> > >     Then we'll kick ourselves for giving the sysctl's convoluted names :-)
> >
> > Yeah... Then, the next in line after "linux" are: ibcs2 and svr4 and
> > whatever comes next. Can you live with them as main sysctl categories?
>
> Adding anything at the top level would be a terrible mistake.
>
> Given that "ABI" is a bit obscure, kern.compat is the only sensible
> choice.

One one hand you're right (it is a compatibility stub) but OTOH it is also
a kernel module... ;-)

Perhaps modules like this will want to have their stuff in BOTH places,
i.e. in kernel.compat and in kernel.modules, depending what the given
sysctl does.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------