Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:57:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bart Pustjens <skin@takeover.lion-access.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news redir and now ftp times out?

> Checkout /usr/ports/sysutils/socket for a nice tool for this.
>
> I've added this line to inetd.conf
> nntp stream tcp nowait nobody  /usr/local/bin/socket
>						socket newserver nntp
> Now I am wondering if I can use tcp wrappers on it so I can use
> hosts.allow ? How can I deny unwanted hosts ?

I add the following to hosts.allow
socket : domain.allowed.com : allow
socket : ALL : deny
and the news redir from one machine to another works (and
other domains/ip-ranges can't use it) but for some weird
reason ftpd stopped working. If I connect to port 21
it just "timed out". It removed my redir stuff using socket
but I still have the same problem. What could be the
reason of this ? I doubt it if it has anything to do
with hosts.allow/inetd.conf ?
(using ftp on the machine and connecting to localhost
won't work and will give a time-out)

With regards,
Bart Pustjens