Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 18:00:35 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>
Cc:        Alexandre Stumpf <stumpf@poa.interage.com.br>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems ...

Lenzi, Sergio wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Alexandre Stumpf wrote:

> Try using a GOOD cpu with a GOOD memory card in that.

> This kind of problems (cc aborting, sh aborting...) generaly measn bad
> hardware.

I didn't see the original message on this, but certainly look at the
hardware.  I went
through hell with OS/2, NT, and Win95 on this Pentium box because the
external cache was
bad for six months and I didn't know it -- I thought the video or
ethernet drivers were buggy,
until (in  a very similar fashion to your symptoms) I proved to myself
that the MS VC++ compiler
would randomly puke with no real exercise of video or ethernet.

(I never got to FreeBSD on this box until I got the cache fixed ... it
runs happily on a 386
downstairs.)
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

 Go softly amid the noise and haste,
 And remember what peace there may be during system crashes