Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:58:17 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   su -c user command not working

I wonder if this is security related.

Basically I'd like to know if this has been disabled for security
reasons.

According to su(1) you can do something like:
su man -c catman
  Runs the command catman as user man.  You will be asked for man's
  password unless your real UID is 0.

However, I am refused to run the example in this way (I am root, of
course).

root> su man -c catman
This account is currently not available.

man is listed in /etc/passwd with /sbin/nologin as shell

I'd also like to know why my ~/.cshrc is not read when I log in or
open an xterm. I have to source it every time. Is this also related to
the previous issue (disabled for some reason?)

I am running FreeBSD-4.3 (RELENG_4_3), and except for some minor
things haven't done major configuration or editing of system base
defaults.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers,

Fernan