Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:55:39 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Rob DeMarco <r.p.demarco@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running Mozilla FireBird 6.1.6 Under Linux Emulation On FreeBSD 4.10

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:03:01 +0000, Rob DeMarco
<r.p.demarco@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I wanted to run Mozilla FireBird 6.1.6 under Linux emulation so
> that I could use the Flash plugin.  I installed linux_base-6.1_6
> from the 4-stable packages directory and downloaded FireBird.  But
> FireBird required a later version of Linux emulation (7.???) that
> I could only find in the 5-stable directory.
>
> Will Linux emulation be updated for FreeBSD 4-stable?  I assume
> I can't install the latest version since it's apparently for 5.0
> and later.

I am using linux_base-8-8.0_4 on my FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE system, so I can
confirm that it is possible to use something more recent that
linux_base-6.  (In fact, the default linux_base is 7.)

It looks like you have the emulators/linux_base package already
installed, but it is back from when 6, not 7 used to be the default.
You should be able to use portupgrade to upgrade your linux_base-6.1_6
to a more recent version.  This does assume you have the ports tree
installed (and preferably up to date via cvsup) under /usr/ports...

If you don't have portupgrade (sysutils/portupgrade), then you should
install it.  It's really useful!

Cheers,

Paul.
--