Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:13:12 -0600
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using 4.3-RELEASE's libc on 5.0 causes hard lockups

At 11:54 AM 2/2/2003, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> > Ok, I admit, no matter how it happened, an application using the wrong
> libc
> > is a bad thing.
> >
> > But, how are things supposed to work?
>
>Apps that need the old libc.so.4 will find it in
>/usr/lib/compat/libc.so.4 (or /usr/lib/libc.so.4 if you didn't remove
>it, for that matter).

Well, things were definitely picking /usr/lib/libc.so.4 over anything in
compat. Should sysinstall have nuked my /usr/lib/libc if it was putting the
correct one in compat?

 > In any case, a system lockup or being able to crash other user's processes
> > just by having the wrong libc shouldn't be possible no matter what happens.
>
>Probably not, although if you have processes running as root and using
>the `wrong' libc, all bets are off.

Well, after I recompiled httpd (which did have a single process owned by
root) and rebooted, nothing at all owned by root touched anything that was
compiled under 4.x. Non-privileged regular users owned the process owned by
analog, which caused the same behavior. Me running analog under my normal
account could kill processes owned by "nobody" with segfaults.