Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:50:24 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Terminals with an external serial port?

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:39:31 -0500  Damien Tougas wrote:
 +------------------
 | Hello,
 |
 | I have a Relisys TR-175 terminal which I have successfully working with
 | FreeBSD. I have noticed that this terminal has an external serial port
 | for adding on additional devices (mouse, printer, etc.). How would I
 | configure FreeBSD to recognize this serial port and use it? I have the
 | manual for the terminal, but it doesn't go into any details on how
 | to set it up, it basically says to consult the documentation for your
 | OS.
 |
 | If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much
 | appreciated.
 |
 | Thank You.
 +------------------

In my experience (with tandem, televidio, and HP terminals) there
are escape sequences in the terminal control codes that enable and
disable various behaviors on these ports.

For example you send a sequence to the terminal that tells it to
direct all subsequent data to the aux port till it sees the right
sequence.  Or you can tell it to mirror every byte to the aux port.
Often there is a hot key on the terminal that will cause the display
memory to be dumped.  Sometimes there is a code that will cause a
short on an unused pair of pins to allow it to open a cash drawer.

There were also various external input devices available such as
light pens, scanners and mice that put  data into the input stream.

Details of this functionality varied widely between different
terminal manufacturers. And often different models from the same
vendor differed greatly.

Sometimes there were different manuals for each set of these
features.  So without the complete manual set it is hard to figure
out what the terminal is capable of.

Good luck
chris

--