Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 15:03:05 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup updates and sources and updating

>> (09.05.2002 @ 1437 PST): Bsd Neophyte said, in 0.5K: <<
> okay... this has been explained to me more than once, but i'm still not
> grasping it.

rub superglue on your eyeballs before you read this response, then ::)

> when you cvsup sources... these sources are then used automatically when
> you rebuild the kernel... and only at this time?

for the most part, yes. the sources are just used to build that kernel,
and then you can forget about them. there are a few ports, like lsof,
that prefer to have the kernel source code available to them, but those
are few and far between. to save space, you can certainly build a kernel
and then remove the sources. well, install the kernel first, but, yeah.

> also, when you rebuild the kernel, does it upgrade you to the latest
> freebsd version?

no. the kernel is the engine of the car, but there's so much more.
there's the rest of the car: the body, the wheels, the sunroof, that
gumwad under the driver's seat. and then there's the frivolous stuff:
the hoola dancer, the radio, and the brakes.

so. by replacing the engine, you have sped up your car (theoretically),
but if you just put in a Mack truck engine into your geo prism, the car
won't run. you have to change the car body (base system) along with the
engine (kernel). CVSUP the entire system source (see the handbook for
instructions), and read /usr/src/README. that will contain all the stuff
you need to know. just don't forget to install the hoola dancer when
you're done.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."