Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 17:35:31 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Sounds like somebody with a strong opinion came up with some "arguments" to
support that opinion.

First off, only time will tell who's licence is right, if
anyone's.  Frankly I think they're suitable for different purposes.  Much
as the author claims that BSD-license users believe that everyone plays
fair and square, it sounds to me that this author believes everyone is out
to screw him first chance they get.  Both of those positions are extreme,
and I don't think they really cover most of the GPL/Linux *or* BSD users.

I can appreciate a developer wanting to maintain control of his homegrown
project, his "baby" if you will.  But I can also appreciate one who says "I
did it and now I've done all that I care to with it, here you go" before
turning it over and moving on to his next project.  Some people truly don't
care to try to regulate the morality of others using their code.

But most importantly, what tends to get lost among all this rabble-rousing
(and that's really all it is) is the fact that the end user typically
doesn't give a rot about what license is used as long as the software does
what he needs.  The developers and even the corporations are a very small
percentage of the user base, and you can be sure that if your product
doesn't meet the needs of the users, it won't get used no matter how "free"
it claims to be.

Openness doesn't win.  Marketing wins.  Especially when it's coupled with a
product that's excellent or even "good enough."

--Chip Morton