Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 11:42:31 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960226-SNAP now on ftp.freebsd.org

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > . /sbin/init and /bin/ed in the `filesys' are the DES versions.  You
> >   might wanna care for this when releasing it on a CD.
>
> Thanks, Mark and I are looking into it.  It's odd.

I found out why last night. The make world is "allowing" this to happen
by not having a -DNOCRYPT in release/Makefile release: target. We should
have some cruft a' la the eBones crap for explicitly generating the crypto
versions. I am working on that now - init is done - ed will come tonight
along with the changes to lib/Makefile and some others.

> > . We need a compat2x distribution, and this one must be offered for
> >   installation when it comes to XFree86(tm).  libc.so.2.2 must be in
> >   it.
>
> Would someone here care to make one?  I always get stuck making
> the compat* dists, and there are always complaints! :-)

Why are we carrying some of this crap? Ok I know why we need the old
shared libraries, but there is a libgcc.so.261.0 in the distribution
that really aught to go in the libcompat set? Let me know what is
involved in broad terms and I'll look at it.

> > Further, using the latest XFree86 betas against a -current system
> > shows strange effects.  Running the server with the (new) Xkb
> > extension enabled immediately freezes the machine after the first
> > couple of X clients popped up.  Running without the extension only
>
> Interesting.  I've never tried any of the betas, but this certainly
> leads me think that I'm better off not sticking 3.1.2D on there! :-)

Isn't sticking buggy software on a developer's CD an incentive to fix
it? ]:->

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key