Date:      22 Nov 2002 09:10:36 +0100
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [SUCCESS] Trying to compile HotSpot on 4.7-STABLE

Thank you all who helped with their advice.  I've built hotspot on
4.7-STABLE now and it seems to work.  I ran jedit for a while in the
hotspot engine, and it did not crash.  It was only very noisy,
complaining about keys that were not found and yellow/red zoning not
working.  I think this behaviour is expected.

Unfortunately the hotspot engine would not run Together.  It hung during
startup.  Well... I couldn't really hope that it would work.

I'll attach my patch. It does the following things:

* Changes the build files so that both the classic VM (including the
native threads part) and the hotspot VM are built with GCC32.  I didn't
bother to mark the port to depend on GCC32 as a build dependency, I just
changed the build process.

* Changes the .java_wrapper so that it no longer activates native
threading in the classic VM.  It would do that as soon as it found the
hotspot library on disk, and would fail (in the classic VM) rather
quickly.

* Fixes a compilation error in the hotspot part which is due to some
recent changes in libc_r.  This is based on recent discussion on this
list, it just removes (#ifdefs out) the problem code.

You can drop the patch into your jdk13/files and it will apply during
the build.  Note, however, that a) you have to build the classic part
with "make WITH_NATIVE_THREADS=1", and then build the hotspot part by
hand as discussed in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=63624+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-java/20020728.freebsd-java (only now you use GCC 3.2 instead of 3.1).

--
Regards,