Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:05:22 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HTML graphs?

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 at 14:08 SAT, Dean Hollister wrote:

> Are there any ports/ideas for doing .html line graphs under Apache,
> running on FreeBSD. Anyone?

I would sugget you look at PHP.  PHP is a scripting language which can be
used "inline" in HTML documents.  The PHP interpreter compiles straight into
your Apache httpd.

If PHP was compiled with support for the "gd" graphics library (this is
optional), it should give you the functionality you're looking for.

For more info about PHP:
  http://www.php.net/

There is a FreeBSD port for apache+php.  I don't know if the port compiles in
gd support - I've always compiled and installed this sort of thing
"manually".  (There is also a port for gd.)

BTW, if you wish to install the lastest version of PHP - version 3 - then I
would recommend you go with Apache 1.3 or later.

Alternatively, there is a perl5 module for gd support (also in the ports).
Install it, write your CGI applications in Perl, and off you go.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878