Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 22:34:50 -0500
From:      "Shane Ashley" <shane@ashleyweb.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   RE: incoming connections

the box is on a partial T1 connection. I am not using the isp's dns box I am
using another bsd box for name resolution of our external addresses.  these
servers are on the dmz of a hardware firewall box (have select direct access
to the outside world).  the users computers are on the trusted side of the
firewall and have unrestricted access to the dmz (however the dmz can not
access the trusted).  all trusted pc's are on the 192.168.0.X and have an
internal NT dns coupled with our dhcp server (were on an nt domain).  all
the pc's on the dmz have an external (internet) ip address.  right now the
SMTP server can't resolve the addresses of the 192.168.0.X cause it can't
get to the internal (NT) dns server, only the external that has no zones for
the internal blocks.  the smut server is trying to resolve the incoming
connections and the trusted pc is timing out before the SMTP server gives up
and allows access.  I have already set the sendmail option to not resolve
names and it had no effect.