Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:35:22 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LCP patch test (was:: sPPP and PPP keepalives)

Hello Gary, hello all

Sorry, but until today I was not able the patch you kindly submitted.

Well, the important is that it is tested and even more important is that it
works very well. ]:)

With this on /etc/isdnd/isdnd.rc :

idletime-outgoing       = 150
ratetype                = 0
unitlength              = 0
unitlengthsrc           = conf

It disconnected successfully after 150 precise seconds.

I checked with tcpdump and with bytes in/out counters on the isdnd, that the
isp was sending the LCP packets every 5 seconds, so I seems that your patch is
ok.

Nevertheless I would like to ask you guys that understand so much about
these isdn matters, why are these isp's sending these lcp packets so often. In
my country, Portugal, the isp's and the telecom (only one!) have big profits
because of this kind of abuse. Althought we have authorities that can take care
of these matters, if you know how to present a complain, so if could help find
technical reasons, for the isp or telecom, have this kind of policy, please
do.

Thanks

Joao

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> This should be of interest for those of you whose ISP uses PPP keepalives
> to decide when to break a connection.
>
> Use of PPP keepalives usually circumvents the short hold timer in i4b.
> A rather old patch exists in contrib/lcp-patch2.tar.uu in various
> releases. This patch is against 0.70 and difficult to apply to any
> more recent releases.
>
> The appended patch is against the 0.90 release and can be applied with
> no problems. It also updates the patch such that it should be usable as
> a standard part of i4b.
>
> What I request is that those who need this patch test it and report
> back to the list whether it works OK. This will help Hwllmuth to
> decide whether it can be made a standard part of i4b. Note that I
> tested this in FreeBSD-current OK, but my ISP does not use keepalives,
> so I could only prove to my satisfaction that it won't break the normal
> short hold timeouts.

                                          ^\   /^
                                            O O

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?