Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:12:30 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

Brett Glass said on Apr 18, 2001 at 06:49:14:
> At 02:16 AM 4/18/2001, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>
> >The only parts of the GPL I see that mention money are:
> >
> >        You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
> >        and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange
> >        for a fee.
> >
> >and
> >
> >        [...]give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of
> >        physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable
> >        copy of the corresponding source code [...]
> >
> >Are you saying that hiring someone to make changes to a GPL'd program
> >would violate this second provision?
>
> If he or she attempted to license his modified version for money. And
> that's the point! Stallman does not want anyone to be able to make
> money by creating and selling software.

This has been discussed ad nauseam... but.

That is *not* the point.  Cygnus (now under Red Hat) has made plenty
of money with custom modifications to GPL software.  If I want a
custom version of gnucash to suit the needs of my company, I can hire
Brett to make the modifications for me, and Brett can insist on being
paid lavishly for his work, especially since I'm asking him to touch
this disgusting GPL code.

What Brett cannot do is insist that I keep my new custom gnucash to
myself.  But, for such custom modifications, I will *want* to keep the
results to myself.  Nobody else may be interested anyway; but even if
they are, why should I oblige?

For mass-market software, like operating systems or office suites,
yes, the GPL does reduce the amount one can effectively charge for
software (excluding media costs and service/support).  So much the
better.  I think it's obscene that M$ can get away with charging $400
per seat or whatever it is for their bloatware.

- Rahul.