Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:48:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail error with outlook client

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, John Daniel wrote:

> I have a sendmail server running on freebsd 2.2.8 and when someone trys
> to connect to it using outlook or outlook express they get the following
> error message.
>
> There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
> rejected. Account: 'username', Server: 'servername.com', Protocol: POP3,
> Server Response: '-ERR System error, can't open temporary file, do you
> own it?', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error
> Number: 0x800CCC92
>
> How can I fix sendmail or outlook to make them work together? The server
> works with netscape and pine. Any suggestions?

Sendmail isn't involved in this at all. The client talks to the
pop3 server.

We have a lot of outlook clients here and they work as well as
can be expected 8-) .

Which pop server are you using?

I have never seen the "temporary file" error. I sounds like
a permission problem. Since it was reported as being in the
response from the pop server, I'd check permissions there.
I know that some pop servers create a ".pop" file in /var/mail.

-Jim