Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:04:25 +0000
From:      what ever <thursday@freeshell.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd: only root can print

Thank you for your thoughtful advise.

It turns out that my problem was with my $PATH, which was set in my .bashrc.

I found that when removing my .bashrc & reloging in, printing would work fine.

Further investigation revealed that /usr/local/bin appeared in my path BEFORE /usr/bin.

My recent install of kde-2.2 (If anyone can tell me how to run this without fam, please mail me) installed cups-1.1.10.1, which installed an lpr executable in /usr/local/bin, which I of course was hitting since /usr/local/bin appeared in my path before /usr/bin. I am an idiot. After a moment of panic thinkinking that my machine had been cracked, I realized the kde connection.

In other news, I am *still* trying to get sound working. I've managed to get the os to recognize the card, but catting a file to /dev/dsp0 always reports device busy after about 1/2 a second of sound...and kde's sound server always reports the device as busy...

--
thursday@sdf.lonestar.org