Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:20:30 +0000
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@lucky.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: complicated downgrade

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:01:06AM +0300, Valentin Nechayev wrote:
>  Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 23:40:05, des wrote about "Re: complicated downgrade":
>
> >> I need to downgrade a remote FreeBSD system from 5.1-release to 4.8-release
> >> remotely without any local help (except possible hitting Reset).
> > Maybe if you tell us why you need to do this we can figure out a way
> > for you to avoid doing it?
>
> System periodically hangs up. Average uptime is ~6 hours. No crash info
> is available. No serial console is available. Different invariants didn't
> help, AFAIK (this testing was done by another admin, so I'm not 100% sure).
> 4.8 in any case is considered more stable, so switching can exclude
> some software problems or software-caused triggerings of hardware problems.

  This sounds like the same symptoms as the latest USB problem...
  when/if you track -current or even run one of the 5.x releases, it's
  key to realize that this is very active code that you're running; it's
  not the same thing as running 4.x, for example.  The code in 5.x is
  constantly actively changing, whereas the code in 4.x only receives
  comparatively well-regulated merges from 5.x, for the most part.
  Therefore, one of the things to always try is to update to the latest
  -current, rebuild, and see if you can reproduce.  Chances are, your
  problem may have been fixed and, if not, at least we can be confident
  that it's reproducable on your hardware with the latest sources.

> Just now question isn't so important because it was decided to move to another
> box (including more friendly environment), so my question is more theoretical
> than practical. But, there is opportunity to play with configs, so I'll try
> again to play with invariants, witnesses, etc.
>
> Thanks to all for help.
>

> -netch-

Cheers,
--