Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:47:02 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Subject:   Re: 4-CD set

--6zdv2QT/q3FMhpsV

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 06:48:39PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2003 05:57 pm, Robert Storey wrote:
> > I've noticed that the FreeBSD 4-CD set is now available for 5.1-RELEASE
> > from FreeBSDmall.com for $40. I'm willing to order it and support the
> > cause, but nowhere have I been able to find out just what is on the
> > additional two CDs. Is it the ports collection, or source code, or
> > something else? If anyone has previously purchased a 4-CD set, I'd be
> > interested to hear what advantage it offers over the downloadable 2-CD
> > set.
>=20
> It is the ports collection. The advantage is simply this - when you=20
> /stand/sysinstall and want to add more ports etc, it reads off of the las=
t 2=20
> CD's and installes them - opposed to the cd /usr/ports/(somedir) make ins=
tall=20
> clean=20
> which downloads them off the net.

The ports collection is on disc 1.  The extra discs are:

A live filesystem CD that can be booted and used for repair purposes,
Two CDs of commonly-used packages.

The entire package collection takes up about 6 GB (for i386 5.1),
which would take about 9 CDs to ship in its entirety.

Kris

--6zdv2QT/q3FMhpsV

--6zdv2QT/q3FMhpsV--