Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:38:17 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ana Romero <anar@ees2.oulu.fi>
Subject:   Re: configuring wavelan card in laptops

Ana Romero stated:
: Hi!!
: I want to configure network in freeBSD 4.0 in a laptop
: with a waveland card. The problem is
: that when I try to do it with
: /stand/sysinstall->configure->networking->interfaces the interface
: wi0 is not shown. I've tried to configure directly in
: rc.conf but it doesnt work.
: When I try to run pccardd it prints:
: pccard[301]:fatal error: no PC-CARD slots
: It seems like there isnt any slot on... I dont know. Could
: you help me??
:
: Regards
:
Ana-

This is usually the sign of either an irq conflict, i/o memory
conflict (pcic vs certain newer video subsystems .. ATI Rage based
ones), or both ... without some knowlege of what is there, it is
difficult to help.  Things that would be useful, would include

/var/run/dmesg.boot
relevant parts of the kernel..

If you have a newer laptop with a Rage based card in it, add

pccard_mem="0xd8000"

to your /etc/rc.conf.  If it is an irq conflict (likely), the
pcic must either be in polling mode (irq 0) or have a totally
free irq for both the pcic _and_ the card. It helps to know
what irq's are available to the system, for two reasons:

1) to set the irq for the pcic in the kernel config
2) to modify the irq line in /etc/pccard.conf or to pass free irqs to
   pccardd via an entry in /etc/rc.conf like

pccardd_flags="-i N -i M -i P"

   where N, M, P are all known free irqs.

Also, 4.0 is a pretty old and many improvements to the pccard support
have been added since then.  You might be better served using -stable
(4.2-STABLE at the moment).

HTH,
Sean O'Connell                                Email: sean@stat.Duke.EDU
Institute of Statistics and Decision Sciences Phone: (919) 684-5419
Duke University                               Fax:   (919) 684-8594