Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:17:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bt848: no IRQ

I'm trying to get a Hauppauge WinTv to work with the BT848 driver, but
with little luck.  My configuration:

  o Model 400 with a "Rev E" tuner & dbx stereo (this seems to be
    a Hauppauge model change, previously the 401 was the dbx version).

  o -current as of yesterday

  o Boot verbose shows:

      bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x12 int a irq 12 on pci0.12.0
      brooktree0: PCI bus latency is 32.
      bktr0: buffer size 3555328, addr 0x3000000
      bktr: GPIO is 0x00fffffb

  o The card is detected as TEMIC PAL, even though this is an NTSC
    board.

  o sign.c from Amancio's page returns:

      signature contents, 0x01 thru 0xff:

       00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 08 02 00 00 00

      i2c device found @
       0xa0
       0xb6
       0xc2

The -current driver incorrectly identified the tuner as TEMIC PAL.
Currently, I'm overriding the tuner detection to my own tuner settings:

        { "MY TUNER",                           /* the 'name' */
           TTYPE_NTSC,                          /* input type */
           TSA552x_WADDR,                       /* PLL write address */
           { TSA552x_SCONTROL,                  /* control byte for PLL */
             TSA552x_SCONTROL,
             TSA552x_SCONTROL,
             0x00 },
           { 0x00, 0x00 },                      /* band-switch crosspoints */
           { 0xa0, 0x90, 0x30, 0x00 } },        /* the band-switch values */

I can now fire up fxtv and hear audio for the selected channel, the
problem is there's no video.  Since I'm using XiG's X server, fxtv
switches to using XImages instead of DGA.  In this mode, fxtv relies on
the brooktree driver sending it a signal on frame completion (correct
me if I misunderstand this, Randall).  It turns out that this signal is
not being sent by the bt848 interrupt handler, and that furthermore,
the interrupt handler isn't ever being called itself.

The next thing I did was to check vmstat -i, but there was no irq 12 to
be seen (even when fxtv was running).  I've traced through
bktr_attach()'s interrupt registration, and everything seems to go ok,
but still no irq 12 in vmstat -i.  I've also watched for calls to
intr_disconnect and unregister_intr, but neither one is being called.

So the question is: where'd the interrupt handler setting go (if
anywhere, and if nowhere, what is preventing the WinTV board from
generating the interrupt)?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Alex