Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:18:20 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, "Peter N. M. Hansteen" <peter@bsdly.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 01:17:48PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:19:06 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Gary et al,
> rather than filtering on one by one basis, why not just setup your mail server
> to do the whole job for you, using spamassassin (or your other anti-spam
> software), with dynamic filters ( like razor and DCC (i think it's called) ). I
> have (cheking...) about 7 *active* email address in my mail client, subscribed
> to many mailing lists (12 of those @freebsd.org). Some of those email addresses
> are used in contact details of many domain registrations.

	I'm going to try spamd (if pf and ipf don't conflict).  It may
	take awhile to get thru alll thewriteups and howto's, but it'l be
	interesting to see the results.

>  All of them behind similarly configured servers. I have all the spam tagged
> and moved to Trash on sight. Out of all the email I receive (which usually is
> several hundred / day), I may have to manually delete 10 spam , uncaught emails
> (all up). I haven't so far found out about a false positive in several years
> of using this setup.
>
> I may be lucky enough that I have a couple of
> Mbps of bandwidth @ home to handle my email load, but none of the tools I use
> are commercial, and they are VERY well documented.

	When I'm finished with my thesis (! on computers:-), maybe you
	can share your  docs on my bsd web site.  It has zero ads and is
	still a work-in-progress.   But maybe we can all cut/paste from
	existing (and free, if copyright) articles on slowing down this
	slimy ooze of spam.

> BTW, that ratio is far smaller than the amount of tree-based spam I get on my
> home mailbox each day.
>
> I also have a catch-all email address to see what comes my way - i see higher
> number of uncaught spam there (which then goes to feed my Bayes filters), so i
> doubt that blaming @freebsd.org servers has anything to do with receiving more
> spam.
>
> In summary, the trick as always is to properly use the tools at hand.

	exactly, and there are just enough of us commmitted (hard-core)
	to the Open Source model to have the tools.  or create them.

	cheers,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix