Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:55:18 -0500
From:      <root@twwells.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cmi8330 and recording

I have an Amptron motherboard with a CMI8330 sound chip. The
kernel is compiled with the pcm driver; playing mp3's works. I set
the mixer values all the way up and attempted to record from my
microphone, by using cat /dev/audio >file. The file gets nothing
but 0x80s which is mu-law zero. I have no reason to believe this
is a hardware problem and I've done the steps corresponding to
what made the last sound card I had work (an sb16 -- which simply
doesn't work with the pcm driver, never mind what the docs say).

I'm stumped. About the only thing I haven't tried is using the old
driver but, all things considered, I'd like to get my sound
working with the new one. Anyone have suggestions on what to do next?