Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:23:35 -0500
From:      Andrew Tamm <nemox@deathwish.net>
To:        Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba3 -> folders in share show up as 0-byte files (6.1 stable)

Steve Franks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pretty much vanilla install as per the handbook.  Had to change from
> smbpasswd to tdbpasswd to get it working, but that's the only non-standard
> operation I did.
>
> Title says it all.  Thought it might be a permissions problem, but I can
> walk the whole tree when logged on to the freebsd box locally, so my user
> has acess to the whole share.  When I map it remotely  (same subnet, no
> firewalls) from my XP box, I can see the share, but all the folders show up
> as zero byte files instead of folders.
>
> ???
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I had a similar problem.  I was sharing an entire ntfs partition to copy stuff
to a windows box.  Viewing the share from the windows box would give those 0
byte files *UNLESS* I had recently done an ls in that directory on the local
machine (or an ssh shell).  I was able to solve this by changing the mount point
permissions to 777, and hence every file in the ntfs partition.  I'm not
particularly happy with this solution and feel there's something I'm missing,
but it might be a start.

Andrew