Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:26:07 +0000
From:      Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forwarding broadcast packets

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:23:16AM +0000, Chris Stenton wrote:
> >
> > I wish to forward broadcast packets from one subnet to another via a FreeBSD
> > box.
> > Both subnets are on the same Ethernet interface. Is this possible?
>
> One interface? So you mean two logical nets on one physical net?
> Everyone is already hearing the broadcasts. On Ethernet, braodcasts
> occur at the data layer.
> --

Yes two logical subnets on one physical net. Say the two subnets are

193.4.5.x broadcast will be 193.4.5.255

130.111.7.x broadcast will be  131.111.7.255

Thus machines on subnet 130.111.7.x will ignore broadcasts on the other logical
subnet and vice versa. What I want is the FreeBSD box to take broadcast packets
in on one logical subnet and repeat them on the other so that all machines see
the broadcast.

Changing to two class C network addresses that are sequentially numbered
is not an option :-(

Chris