Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 06:08:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        install@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   It's time to release..  The worms!  Hahahahaha!

Got a can opener right here! [grabs can, opener, sticks tongue out of one side
of mouth in concentration and starts in on it].

"roik..roik..roik..roik..roik..roik..*pop*... (we're free!).. *slither*.."

There we go!  One open can of worms!  Yuck!

Yup, it's time to open that old worm can with the words "FreeBSD Installation"
written on it, I'm afraid!

I want to know what all of you think about where the FreeBSD install should
go.  I'd like to hear where you think it shines and where it sucks.  I'd like
to hear what you think any sensible person with half a brain ought to be able
to do with it and to it.

>From these multiple streams of consciousness, twilite-zone suggestions,
heated arguments and occasional spats of petty nitpicking, I hope to
derive some sort of "want / don't want" list of features and ideas for
the 2.1 installation.  Just between you and me, I don't expect the
installation to be anywhere near finished until 2.2, but I'd like to get
most of the bug and simple enhancement requests done for 2.1.

To give you a feel for timelines, if you want a voice in what happens for
the FreeBSD 2.1 install, the time to talk about it is NOW.  I plan multiple
dry runs here, so the snapshot program I've already talked about will contain
many of the ideas we discuss over the next few weeks actually implemented
as ALPHA quality code.  The rush now is to save us the rush later, when
we can much less afford it.  Let's try and do most of our testing in
advance this time instead of *after* the release, as we usually do! :-)

We should also try to focus our discussions into two very rough catagories:

	1. sysinstall and how the whole disk prep / network boot /
	   install-from-DOS situation should be handled.  People would also
	   be WELL advised to try a Linux installation at least once, just
	   to see what they're capable of.

	2. FreeBSD administration and initial user setup.

I forsee that the installation will, for reasons of space on the boot floppy
if nothing else, still consist of a low-level "get a little bootstrap on
the disk with a minimum setup" stage and a user mode "binist" high level
installation phase.  For most purposes, we can discuss them seperately.