Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:46:17 +0100
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE HD recommendations II

Dear FreeBSD'ers,

thanks again for your public and private indications.

Yet another couple of questions... I would like to mount one of the
following disks on my ASUS P2-BF mobo (I run FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE):

deskstar 40GV (40 GB), that is,
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds40gv.htm

deskstar 60GXP (>=40 GB), that is
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds60gxp.htm

deskstar 75GXP (>=45 GB), that is
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds75gxp.htm

I would like to utilize one of these disks on my workstation, which
I stress even too much (for a worskstation), compiling quite a lot of
code (e.g  my own progs as well as ports, releases, persons at hand...
:-)

Are there any caveats (should I also mount supplementary fan(s), beware
of possible ATA100 configuration issues on my UDMA33 machine, and
suchlike) ?

Should I prefer the slowest disk (5,400 rpm) for
heat/stability/whatever reasons?

TIA,
Salvo