Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:17:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The if_detach problem

Terry Lambert writes:
| Doug Ambrisko is running wireless in the office right now with a
| PCMCIA card.  It's unreasonable to not allow him to switch between
| a wireless adapter and a docking bay or other PCMCIA card as his
| default route as it becomes available.

Well since I've been named I'll add my comments here.  At work we
have this nifty wireless network at home I just have an ethernet
cable.  Also I have a USB widget that can be a network device.

Typically I have 2 network devices in my laptop so I have to swap
the wireless for the ethernet between work & home.

All these things can come an go during a "booted" session on my laptop.
Current I halt my laptop take it home and plug it into the network there
and boot it.  I should be able to just suspend it and never turn
it off since it will sleep for a long time (except for OS upgrade) and
swap cards at will (okay maybe I may have to run a slot down command).
Similar swaping between USB thingys should also work and with USB
it easy to add lots of network widgets at the same time.

Netgraph is also is an example.  I don't want to end up with device
ng4938758 after having a machine up for a year and doing various
things with kld's.  It would be nice to re-use the name space.

However, there are times when we need somthing somewhat static (actually
Nick solved the problem in USB land).  The issue is that when a pccard
is inserted you usually have to run something to configure it's IP
address etc.  However, you need to know what device it is.  "usbd" has
a psuedo various "DEVICE" that gives you the name of the device.
So in the config file you can pass the device name.  This was critical
in USB for knowing what device to download firmware to so you don't
blow away the wrong device.

Currently what I have to do with pccard is to statically define
my Ethernet cards as ed0 & ed1 in the config file but why should
I?  pccardd should just run the correct command on the device
it just configured.  Note the only way this works and I know
which device is which, is that I use 2 ne2000 cards from different
vendors.  Same vendor is another tricky issue when there is no
way to tell the difference (this happens in SCSI, ATA, USB etc).

So the prior paradigms are changing and we need to look at solutions
that get us closer to what we will need.

Doug A.