Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:44:14 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone had stability problems with AMD 751 mboards with Adaptec 29160 cards?

I have two machines based on Asus K7Ms, which have an AMD 751 north
bridge and a VIA south bridge. The machine with an IDE drive seems to
work fine. The one with an Adaptec 29160 in it goes a few hours and then
  hangs or reboots. It's very ugly. It even appears able to cause
machines talking to it to reboot maybe by transmitting some sort of
Chernobyl packet or something.

The same 29160 in a K63-450 machine works fine. I suppose one of the
boards could be bad, but I seem to remember something about 29160s not
being happy in certain kinds of machines.

This same configuration had problems under Microsoft OSes too, so I
don't think it's a software issue.

I know this is all very vague, but I'm hoping that this triggers a "oh
yes. These cards are known not to work in these systems and here's why"
sort of response.