Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:27:24 -0500
From:      Wilson Fred C Civ ASC/LUGE <Fred.Wilson@wpafb.af.mil>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   I can only run GNOME as root

I seem to have missed something somewhere.

I installed the GNOME package + Enlightenment from the 3.4-Release CD-ROM
distributed by Walnut Creek.

There are two things that don't seem to work.

1.	Unless I bring up desktop settings from panel I get the background
defined by Enlightenment. It seems to me that the GNOME settings should
override the basic settings provided by the window manager (even if I tell E
not to use a background). I do get any icons I have placed on the desktop,
just not the background. Am I expecting too much or did I miss something?
wmG looks like a good start but I would like a little more decoration (like
window control buttons that are more than little boxes) so I am using
Enlightenment which is overkill. I like the GNOME interface. This is mostly
just an inconvenience.

2.	The real issue is that if I try to start gmc or panel from my user
account I get a message that the application can not set the protection on
/root/.gnome_private to 0700 and then the application core dumps. I did a
chmod 0777 on .gnome_private to no effect and then did a pkg_delete and
removed all of the gnome files in root and then reinstalled everything.
Nothing seems to have had much of an effect. I didn't seen anything in what
little documentation I have that discusses this. Where did I go wrong?

Thank You
Fred Wilson