Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 02:32:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        ejc@nasvr1.cb.att.com, julian@TFS.COM
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS and syslogd

>	Added options DEVFS in my kernel.  Added a line at the end of my fstab
>"dev /dev devfs rw 0 0" everything seems to work except syslogd.  When I boot
>I get the error "syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: operation not supported"
>Is this a known problem, did I do something wrong?  I scanned all the old email
>in questions, hackers, current with devfs and did not see anything.

It's known.  syslogd needs to write the log file in a stupid place
(/dev/log) for compatibility and devfs just doesn't support this.

This was discussed a lot in the commit mailing list(s).  The current
mail doesn't seem to be very useful compared with the commit mail for
following what is happening in -current.

Bruce