Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:52:37 -800
From:      "Mark L. Holloway" <mholloway@flashmail.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.3 works perfect..

Hmmm..after a few days of struggling, I finally placed a call to my local Cable
Modem provider and at least they admitted they were having problems over the
weekend.

I just completed two installations via FTP on two Alphas using FreeBSD 3.3.
 It couldn't have gone any smoother!  I'm so glad to see that FreeBSD is leaps
and bounds ahead of Linux as for ease-of-installation.  For kicks I had purchased
Red Hat 6.0 for Alpha from Cheapbytes.  Not only does it detect the wrong NIC
types, but the net tools don't work.  Red Hat's default "Workstation" installer
slaps Gnome/Enlightenment on to the system which is OK, but there are many bugs.
 If you go to alphalinux.org you can see the numerous amounts of RPM files needed
to render the system usable.  I'm not trying to bash Linux, but more or less
Red Hat's way of implimenting Linux on Alpha.  I haven't tried Debian, TurboLinux,
Stampede, or SuSe, so I can't comment...but overall, I really am impressed with
FreeBSD on Alpha.

Mark