Date:      Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:56:25 +0300
From:      Artyom Viklenko <artem@aws-net.org.ua>
To:        G Felter <fbsdisp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP MRTG or Similar

G Felter wrote:
>    I just want to introduce myself to the list.  My name is Greg and I
> have been using FreeBSD for about four years,  I have even swore off
> Windows and use FreeBSD as my workstation.
>
>    I am writing because I have a FreeBSD server which I provide shell
> accounts to customers with.  I soon hope to provide jails after
> working out some glitches.  I need to monitor each customers bandwidth
> usage on a per IP basis.  I know MRTG is basically the standard but I
> am open to suggestions.  I seem to have trouble setting up MRTG myself
> and have consulted several people for the purpose having them set up
> MRTG.  They have told me they can only set up MRTG on FreeBSD for the
> main IP of the server and not for each individual IP.  I know there
> are providers monitoring the bandwidth of each IP in FreeBSD.  Which
> script are they using to do this, MRTG, cacti, RRDTool, cricket?  If
> someone could offer a little guidance to get me started I would be
> grateful.  Thank you
> Greg

   One possible way to gather statistics per-jail-ip is to use 'ipfw count'
rules for each jail ip on the base system. Then you can write some
scripts and pass accumulated data to MRTG. MRTG can grab data not only from
SNMP, but from external programms via stdin. Such external program
have to send to it's stdout four strings. This is described in MRTG
documentation.

   The simplest scripts in this case should pass to MRTG current
values of ipfw count values for inbound and outbound traffic.
You need as many such scripts as you have jails on the host. MRTG
(and Apache) should be installed on the same machine with jails.
But it is possible to write tcp- or udp-aware daemon and client
and run MRTG on another host.

   And if you want you can use RRDTool - it can show more precious
pictures than MRTG. MRTG shows more averaged values.

--
            Sincerely yours,
                             Artyom Viklenko.