Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:59:50 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incredibly slow mirror site

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:48:11PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I'm building kde3 from ports, and the koffice install attempts to download
> the tar.bz2 file from ftp.scarlet.be.  The download is about 2 BYTES per
> second!
>
> I stopped the download and fetched the file from somewhere else.
>
> Maybe someone should check that site?
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

I can confirm this.  Passive vs. active FTP doesn't matter either.
Would the owner of this mirror please take ownership?

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

=== SNIP ===

  There are currently 57 connections out of 70.
  There are currently 49 connections out of 70 in your class. (world)

  Local time is: Wed Oct  4 00:54:50 2006 (Vilvoorde, Belgium)
  Question/problems, please contact: ftp@scarlet.be

  All connections, commands and transfers are logged.

230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> bi
200 Type set to I
ftp> cd /pub/FreeBSD
250-If you're looking for one of the FreeBSD releases, please look in the
 releases/${ARCH}/${RELNAME} directory, where ARCH = "alpha", "amd64",
 "i386", "ia64", "pc98", or "sparc64" and RELNAME = the release
 you're interested in, e.g. "6.1-RELEASE" or "5.5-RELEASE".

250 CWD command successful
ftp> dir
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||60107|)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
^C
receive aborted. Waiting for remote to finish abort.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
ftp>

ftp> cd /pub/FreeBSD
250-If you're looking for one of the FreeBSD releases, please look in the
 releases/${ARCH}/${RELNAME} directory, where ARCH = "alpha", "amd64",
 "i386", "ia64", "pc98", or "sparc64" and RELNAME = the release
 you're interested in, e.g. "6.1-RELEASE" or "5.5-RELEASE".

250 CWD command successful
ftp> passive off
Passive mode: off; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> dir
200 EPRT command successful