Date:      thu, 11 oct 2001 12:59:36 -0600
From:      Farooq Mela <farooq@whatthefuck.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Machine never uses swap after adding memory.

Hello,

I have a machine set up with 512Mb of ram and one gigabyte
of swap space.  I recently added another 512mb of ram.  This
machine runs certain programs which use a large amount of memory,
and I noticed that programs would have memory allocation
failures, and that the swap space is not being used at all!
Is this to be expected? I noticed tuning(7) states that there
should be at twice as much swap space as physical memory,
but is this a requirement?  Or is there some sysctl that
I have to mess with to fix this issue? It doesn't seem logical
to me that a machine cannot use any swap space because there
is an equal amount of swap space and memory.

-Farooq
(please CC your responses to me, I am not subscribed to -questions@)