Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:23:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        donny garcia <donnymgarcia@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with liraries...

donny garcia <donnymgarcia@yahoo.com> types:
> hi . im new to freebsd. i used to use linux, but
> decided to switch.straight off the bat ive been having
> trouble with my libraries.can anyone tell me what
> ports this file, libgtk-1.2.so.0, is in and anymore
> libraries that i should install to have be running
> smooth. For example, i installed gtk and glib to use
> with ymessenger.ive done a lot of string searches and
> cant seem to really find anything that specifically
> helps with libraries. Thanks in advance. d

The contents of any given port are in pkg-plist, so running the
command "find /usr/ports -name pkg-plist | xargs grep -l libgtk" will
list the ports that include the file (mostly, anyway - some ports
generate packing lists dynamically). It looks like you want
x11-toolkits/gtk12 for that library, but it may be one of the other
gtk ports in x11-toolkits.

As for "running smooth", that depends on what you want to run. For
example, I've got a number of machines that have no use for
libgtk. The "ldd" command on a binary will tell you what libraries it
is using and, more importantly, what libraries it needs but can't
find. You can then use the "find" above to see which port, if any,
have that library.

If the command that has the problem was installed from ports and
doesn't pick up the dependency, then that's a bug in the port and
should be reported to the maintainer (listed in the Makefile). If it's
not a port, you should check to see if it exists. If it doesn't exist,
you should turn make one for it and send-pr it.

	<mike