Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:57:10 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Ryan Masse <rmasse@mastery.ca>
Cc:        jamie rishaw <jamie@playboy.com>, FreeBSD-Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: security advisories

Ryan Masse wrote:

> complain? for those individuals with the port in question installed and who
> wait for an advisory to take action in updating their source would have had
> a possible security breach from the time realized to the time an advisory is
> issued. Wouldn't you want an advisory as soon the bug was found? Even though
> the samba bug is not of major concern what if it were more serious? Would
> you want to leave your mission critical servers open to attack?

The advisories are issued as soon as the puported problem has been
researched, verified, and either a workaround or a fix implemented.
Sometimes the workaround is as simple as "don't use this until we
have a fix available," which may or may not be useful to you.

As I pointed out in my previous message, you have one sure-fire way to
help decrease the latency in the analysis and writing of SAs: join the
team and work hard.